Cost of Capital for Master Tools
You have recently been hired by Master Tools (MT) in its relatively new treasury management department. MT was founded eight years ago by Martha Masters. Martha found a method to streamline the manufacturing process, resulting in a cheaper tool. The tools manufactured by MT are designed for the mass market and sold primarily through retail. The company is privately owned by Martha and her family, and it had sales of $97 million last year.
MT primarily sells to do-it-yourself (DIY) customers with personal projects, although it does sell through various online marketplaces. As a result, the company’s sales are price sensitive. When the company had sufficient capital, it would expand production. Relatively little formal analysis has been used in its capital budgeting process. Martha has just read about capital budgeting techniques and has come to you for help. For starters, the company has never attempted to determine its cost of capital, and Martha would like you to perform the analysis. Because the company is privately owned, it is difficult to determine the cost of equity for the company. Martha wants you to use the pure play approach to estimate the cost of capital for MT, and she has chosen Snap-On Tools as a representative company. The following questions will lead you through the steps to calculate this estimate.
1. Most publicly traded corporations are required to submit quarterly (10-Q) and annual (10-K) reports to the SEC detailing the financial operations of the company over the past quarter or year, respectively. These corporate filings are available on the SEC website at www.sec.gov. Go to the SEC website, follow the “Search Company and Individual Filings” link, and search for SEC filings made by Snap-On Tools (SNA). Find the most recent 10-Q or 10-K, and download the form. Look at the balance sheet to find the book value of debt and the book value of equity.
2. To estimate the cost of equity for SNA, go to finance.yahoo.com and enter the ticker symbol SNA. Follow the links to answer the following questions: What is the most recent stock price listed for SNA? What is the market value of equity, or market capitalization? How many shares of stock does SNA have outstanding? What is the foward annual dividend? Analysts have estimated a six percent growth rate for dividends. What is the cost of equity for SNA using the DDM? What is the beta for SNA? Now go back to finance.yahoo.com and follow the “Bonds” link. What is the yield on three-month Treasury bills? Using the historical market risk premium, what is the cost of equity for SNA using CAPM? What is your final estimate for the cost of equity?
3. You now need to calculate the cost of debt for SNA. Go to finra-markets.morningstar.com, enter SNA as the company, and find the yield to maturity for each of SNA’s bonds. What is the weighted average cost of debt for SNA using the book value weights and using the market value weights? Does it make a difference in this case if you use book value weights or market value weights?
4. You now have all the necessary information to calculate the weighted average cost of capital for SNA. Calculate the WACC using book value weights and market value weights. SNA has a 21 percent tax rate. Which number is more relevant?
5. You used SNA as a pure play company to estimate the cost of capital for MT. Are there any potential problems with this approach in this situation?
Please show how the calculation is done.
Cost of Capital for Master Tools You have recently been hired by Master Tools (M
Struggling with a similar assignment? Don’t know where to start? Don’t have time to work on this? Get a high-quality paper written for you from scratch – PLAGIARISM FREE, guaranteed to get you a good grade. To get started, please click on the Submit Your Instructions at the bottom of the page.
Cost of Capital for Master Tools
Need Writing Help? Our writing specialists are here 24/7, every day of the year, ready to support you! Instantly chat with an online tutor below or click here to submit your paper instructions to the writing team.
More than just an assignment.
Who is this homework service for?
* If you are having a really hard class and want to get through it, then this is for you.
* If you have a medical emergency or someone close to you has a medical emergency and you don’t think you’ll be able to turn your assignment on time, this is definitely a service you could use.
* You can use us if you are having a tough Professor who won’t give you the grades you deserve.
* If you have a tight work schedule and you are getting points deducted for not submitting assignments on time.
* English might not be your first language and you feel like you are being left behind in class because of it.
* If you have a large project coming up and don’t think you have enough time to get it done well, definitely reach out to us.
Hi there! My name is Anna.
Super stoked you are checking us out! We would like to help you with your assignment. We just need a few things from you:
* The full assignment instructions as they appear on your school account.
* If a Rubric is present, make sure to attach it.
* Any relevant weekly readings or learning resources.
* Include any special announcements or emails you might have gotten from your Professor regarding your assignment.
* Any templates or additional files required to complete the assignment.
If your assignment is somewhat complex and you need to explain it, please don’t hesitate to reach out to me via live chat.
Frequently asked questions
How soon can I get my paper done?
It depends with your deadline. If you need your paper completed in 3 hours, we will deliver it in that time. All you need to do is indicate your deadline in our custom order page here. Alternatively, if you are sending us your instructions via email, please be sure to indicate your deadline.
Will it be completely original? I don't want to be caught in a case of Academic Integrity Violation.
We are as paranoid as you are. Maybe even more! And we understand that the greatest sin you can commit in your academic journey is plagiarizing your academic work. To that end, we have made sure that we check and double-check our papers using high quality plagiarism detection tools such as SafeAssign and Turnitin before submitting the paper to you.
Who is my writer? Is he/she a native English Speaker?
All our writers are native English Speakers. That is not to say that ESL writers are not good, we just prefer hiring native writers because we want the very best people working on your paper. This might mean paying a little bit more for your paper as opposed to when you pay a foreign company whose writers are non-native English Speakers.
What if I need revisions? Will your charge additional for this?
Of course not! If you do happen to require a revision on your paper, our team will handle it for you free of charge. Matter of fact, we won’t rest till you are happy with your paper. So, ask for as many revisions as you need, it’s completely FREE!
Will you give me my money back if I don't like my paper?
We have very few instances where we delivered a paper that a client didn’t fall in love with. But if it so happens that you don’t like your paper for any reason whatsoever, we’ll refund your money back no questions asked.
I have more assignments after this, can you help me with those too?
Of course! And what’s even better is that we can reserve a writer permanently to work on your entire class. This comes in handy for projects which build up on each other and where you need just one writer, one writing style.
I got my order information wrong, can I change that?
Yes you can. Just reach out to our support team via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or live chat here and they’ll help you change the instructions.
Can I place an order via email instead of going through the order page?
Yes you can. Email Anna at email@example.com, she’s in charge of our sales team. Alternatively, you can talk to our Live Chat team here and request to speak to Anna.